Wednesday 9 May 2012

Last stop Zambia!

On Monday I began a four stage journey to our Zambia office with an experience that I'm never going to forget, and one that I could never capture in a photo. Over the last four months I've become a bit of an expert at preparing for airport security systems so always have my liquids in clear bottles (not over 100ml), laptop out and ready and jewellery off. I carry my ukulele in my hand luggage too, which has started many interesting conversations ranging from genuine intrigue ("Is it a violin... or a banjo?") to outright mockery ("Dude, someone's shrunk your guitar!") But my absolute favourite was the security officer at Cape Town airport today. As he looked at it, then me, his face was dead-pan serious, and as he began to unzip the case I wondered what he thought I had stashed there, but grudgingly knew I needed to let him check it out and prepared for the usual questions. He then picked it up, broke into a massive smile and proceeded to play a perfect rendition of Over the Rainbow. Complete magic moment.

My flight out of Cape Town went over False Bay and Helderberg mountain which I climbed last week (right in the centre of the picture). It was one of the clearest days we've had the whole week, so a real treat departure from a city that I just love.


Stage two of my journey was a short flight from Johannesburg to Lusaka (the capital of Zambia) in a tiny plane where there was only one passenger on either side of the aisle. My Mum would have HATED it! As the sun started to set we flew over the Zambezi river which was an incredible sight and brought back memories of fishing in Zimbabwe when I was a kid. I hope I get to visit it at ground level at some point over the next three weeks...


I was met at Lusaka airport by Tom, our Zambia Country Director, and stayed overnight in Lusaka itself to avoid travelling to Kabwe (where our office is) at night. I already know I'm going to like Zambia from the ease of my arrival. Not knowing I needed a visa, the immigration officer was relaxed enough to let me wander outside the airport and pick up the money I'd need to pay for it - a far cry from the craziness of Freetown Lungi airport!

After a quick breakfast briefing meeting with Tom, I headed to Lusaka bus station to pick up a bus to Kabwe, and was again pleasantly surprised by the relaxed atmosphere and friendly help I got at the ticket stand. 


The final bit of my journey from Kabwe bus station to our office was by bicycle...


...Just kidding. 

I was picked up by Kennedy, our lovely office driver. I just thought it was an appropriate picture with the "Welcome to Kabwe" sign in the background. I do, however, have a bicycle now. But more about that in my next post....

Kabwe is in Zambia's Central Province, just south of the Copperbelt. My first impressions are that it's a small and laid back kind of place. No-one rushes anywhere and people are really friendly. Unlike Freetown, which has a whole expatriate scene (unfortunately creating an artificial divide between the local people and foreigners), it's easy to slot into life and really feel a part of the place. Two thumbs up for Kabwe so far....

No comments:

Post a Comment